Today was a very busy day for me which started at 4:30 AM ( my alarm clock was my cat and if you are a cat owner you will understand). I started off doing some errands, and then doing things around the house, cleaning out the Cupboards in my kitchen throwing things away and finding stuff to put together for meal prepping for the week.
My Husband and I have a very hectic schedule during the week, and so I try on Sundays to prep our meals for the week. I actually started doing this about a month ago and totally love it. It certainly takes a couple of hours to do this, but I have to be honest well worth it. So to make a long story short last weekend I had made another easy treat which required caramel. I have to be totally honest the last time I tried to make homemade caramel I burned it. I came across a recipe that I thought I would try and master, and I did! Of course I made a lot of it, and so I had put the rest of it in a mason jar and refrigerated it. I honestly did not want it to go to waste so I came across this amazing treat, that is certainly Buttery and Oh so comforting. Now I found this recipe off of this website Salted Caramel Butter bars which was very easy to follow the only difference was that I had already had Caramel made so I did not have to use Caramel candy Pieces. I actually followed this you Tube Video on how to make home made Caramel and I have to be honest so easy to follow, and I did not burn the sauce I actually mastered it!! Sorry I got a little over joyed there for a moment. I guess I am going to have to shares these with my Co-workers tomorrow because I know my husband will eat more than one and then Complain to me. We only live one life right so enjoy it to the fullest.
- 1 lb. butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1 bag (14 oz.) caramel candies (about 50 individual caramels), unwrapped
- 1/3 cup milk or cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Or if you want to try to make home made Caramel check out the you tube video I posted
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using mixer on medium speed, beat together until creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour and mix until smooth.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust.
- Place remaining crust mixture in the refrigerator
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Bake crust until firm and the edges are a pale golden brown approximately 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool about 15 minutes.
- While the bottom crust is baking and the remaining dough is chilling, make the caramel filling. Place the unwrapped caramels in a saucepan, add the cream and vanilla and cook and stir over low to medium heat until completely melted. (You can also use the microwave in short bursts to melt the caramel mixture.)
- Pour the caramel filling over the crust. Generously salt with sea salt.
- Remove the remaining chilled dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the caramel. You may find the chilled dough doesn’t “crumble” that easily. If so, just place on a cutting board and chop into the dough
- size pieces you want for the topping.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Let cool, and cut into squares.